November 14, 2008

Polar Express

Justin and I moved to Dayton about 2 months ago and we have been put straight to work with church callings, our ward is REALLY small but thats good we would rather be busy than board! Justin is the young men's president and I am the ward activities chairman (woman). I just got my calling 2 weeks ago and HELLO, TIS' THE SEASON! I've been stressing about our ward Christmas party and what to do.....what to do.....what to do. Well I FINALLY decided the theme "O' Jerusalem" is TO INVOLVED as much as I loved it. My time is limited especially because we will be in Disney World Dec. 5th -Dec. 13th (yeah!!!! ) AHHHH no time! So I talked to my mom today and asked her what her ward was doing, she said the theme was Polar Express. I LOVE IT! So.... I'm stealing it;0)

What I'm getting at is I need some cute ideas. I'm planning on having everyone come in their PJ's, a hot chocolate bar with every thing I and you can think of , possibly a projector playing the movie, bread bowls and lots of different soups with plenty of appetizers, maybe a station where the kids can make a snow globe or an ordainment??? of course a spiritual devotional/program (I need ideas)..... what else? Come on I know you all are geniuses!
Justin took the camera camping (wish he was laying next to me instead of Coops feet in my back I hope he is not freezing!!! ) so no random pictures of my children, just picts of Polar Express,
but I would LOVE,LOVE all your ideas!!!!



PLEASE!

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Man that is crazy you got put into that calling right before Christmas. And Justin as young mens pres. Awesome.
Ideas....you could have activities where the kids get their tickets punched, or even cooler if the invitations were ticket stubs.
I tried to think of something where the adults tried to remember their first Christmas memory. Also it would be cute to have trains on tables, or tracks. Good luck, it is a great idea.

Amy said...

Wow sounds like fun! I think that is an awesome idea might have to steal it for next year. Sorry I never did email you the stuff for A night in Bethlhem but the website wasn't working:(. I am not really an idea person but sounds like you have it covered. You could relate the whole believing thing to christ...I don't know. Good Luck!

Mindy said...

what a cute, fun idea! You're way more creative than I am!!

Did you get your DVD yet? I sent it back approx. a week ago

~The Dippold's said...

Chy, I didn't have your email but I have some questions about your Family Home Evening Sign that is on your Vinyl Expressions website. If you will just shoot me an email @ holly.dippold@gmail.com that would be great! :)

Laura Lou said...

What a GREAT idea. I love it. I don't have any immediate thoughts to add, but I'll think on it. Yay, it will be nice to have a fun Christmas party and my kids will love it (as, I'm sure, will I)!! - LB

Amy said...

If you don't have the movie going, make sure to have the soundtrack. I LOVE the believe song by josh groban. You could have them do some kind of Believe craft...you have to believe in all things. I'm really not that creative, but I live by BELIEVE. I'm sure that you will do just fine, you're a creative person, otherwise they wouldn't have given you this calling.

Rebecca said...

I don't have any ideas but I think it's a super cute theme! You'll do great!

Beckie said...

Ooh how fun for you=- that is a perfect job to use your creativity on! My mom did a skit at her relief society Christmas dinner one year-- that was pretty easy and very cute--

What it is is -- a family -- they don't really talk-- any way -- they are too busy shopping and decorating their tree they forget about the nativity-- and its narrated and in it there are christmas carols throughout that the congregation sings-- I guess her old ward is doing it for their Christmas party ! So that is an idea-- if you like it I can get the stuff to you-- I think she got it online?

Anonymous said...

I just got released from that calling... way fun! Well, I liked what someone said about "Believe" and the song. I would try to get three parts together for your bishopric to read, maybe words that spell Believe, that relate it back to Christ... like...B= Bethlehem, E= ...you got my drift, I liked everyone elses ideas about the fun stuff. Our theme is Joy, and we're making big letters of J.O.Y. out of cardboard and glittering them up and having the Bishopric talk about them. Maybe we'll do Polar Express next year after we see how yours goes! Oooh, I just got another idea... you know how Santa gives the first gift of Christmas in Polar Express? You could have him come at the end and say something about gifts (spiritually relating). Well, just a few ideas for ya.Good luck!
JUles

Kate Larsen said...

Ooh...
You could have Santa come and give the first gift of Christmas. You could do something with the sleigh bells for every family. I'm sure there is some symbolic nature to the sleigh bell besides what is just in the movie. You could have another ward serve you (like the servers on the train in the movie). You could put the elders quorum presidency up to doing an elf rock band up on the stage and dancing like they do when santa leaves in the sleigh. You could also have some form of donations brought in for charity and create a wrapping assembly line that resembles the wrapping rooms in the movie. um, I'm really supposed to be working. so, that's all for now. Love, Kate