Is anyone out there as addicted to the news on Japan as I am? I'm sure it's because it's such a horrible situation and I pray it never happens to me.....but why do I insist on watching it? Well... I think it's so I can learn how to protect myself and my family if I were ever faced with the same situation. Where would I go? What would I "need" to have. Things like this freak me out even more because I don't live close to my parents (who practically have a emergency preparedness STORE in their basement) I live 10 hours away. So yep it scares me a bit.
My mom emailed me THIS BLOG to read. It is an adorable family who lives in Japan and she blogged about stuff that she would do in the "future" regarding her 72hr kits. I honestly cant think of a better way to learn how to protect your family in scary situations like the one in Japan than to learn from those going through it. So I thought I would write it down for myself and also for those of you in blogland.
*Get an old school, corded phone. If the power goes out, your cordless wont work.
*Speaking of accountability, in an emergency, if you're going to leave your house--leave a note on the door saying where you are going so when guys from church or work coming looking, they'll know where you are.
*When the power went out, people couldn't get their cars out of their garage. Turns out there is a special crank to use. Look into those.
*Cooking with our camping equipment. Note to self: Buy a 20 pack of small propane tanks. Also get a spare tank for the BBQ.
*Do you have an extra refill of your prescriptions in your 72 hour kit? It's terrifying to imagine running out of the things you take every day. Such as birth control...yep, don't want to get pregnant in a time like that. Also, the thought of my kids getting sick and not having enough Children's Advil and/or Tylenol would make me pretty nervous.
*Keep some cash in the freezer...yes the freezer, in case of a fire it won't be lost and what burglar looks in the fridge for some cizzzash. It's "cold hard cash" as my mom would put it. If natural disasters happen I'm certain most banks wont be open to let you withdraw money and most places most likely will not have power so using your debit will be difficult. I also keep all of our original SS cards in a Ziploc in the freezer (is that weird?) I have copies of them elsewhere, yes I know you are not supposed to make copies!
*While I'm making notes to myself: Buy a hand crank wheat grinder. Like nowish..
*Get some candles and LOTS of matches, also flash lights and backup batteries. We have several lanterns but I need to take inventory of all my "light" supply and place it where appropriate, such as some in the car and some in the garage or house. Also get headlamps for EVERYONE in the family, I bet those would be super handy.
*Also, DO NOT sell that old wood burning stove that is out in the garage that we inherited when we bought this house. If I ever move it would be great to have it installed just in case. We have a wood burning stove in our master bedroom now but I need to have it cleaned before I feel comfortable using it. does anyone know anything about that? Do I do it myself or pay someone to clean it...I'm sure it would do wonders for my power bill which has been TRIPLED the last 3 months. Yep I should look into that.
* Get a MUCH LARGER supply of baby formula and Diapers, yes that crap is expensive but I would REALLY hate to not have formula or diapers for my baby girl. And lets face it I'm not into the cloth diaper thing, I would if I had to.....but I don't WANT TO!
* Keep my gas can full and possible buy a extra BIG one. Sadly in my mind all I can think of is $$$$$....slowly Chy, little by little ;)
Any other thoughts from you??????
4 comments:
OOh I know the feeling! Every day I feel like I could need my kits the next day - and my kits are not kits at all- they are scattered around my house- EEK!! Time is now to get it together!!
Chy I'm so glad you posted this! I'm a worrier too and one of my goals this year was to get all my preparedness stuff together! Thanks for the info!
Thanks for this. I may be totally paranoid, but I like to print out instructions on how to do things I don't normally do - like cure meat and sterilize water and all that mountain man stuff. I really want to get a fire proof safe to keep all this information in. Also on my emergency "to buy" list is stuff like chainsaws and the jaws of life kind of stuff so if I ever experienced devastation like that I could help cut people out. It gets so overwhelming...baby steps!
Oh, I also intend to stock up on coffee, cigarettes, and liquor in my food storage. In a time like that, those things would be big time bargaining chips!
Thanks Chy. I'm like you, can't get Japan out of my mind. I've also been trying to build my food storage and emergency supplies. After we got home from Hawaii and went through a tsunami evacuation, I have totally "re-thunk" my emergency supply and how I would keep my family alive. Thanks for the link to that blog. I have purchased more candles, more propane bottles and a corded phone thanks to that! Totally appreciate the help!
Post a Comment